A step by step guide from Region Gotland
Since drought and water scarcity is a global problem, we at Region Gotland have written a short guide based on our learnings from making the successful Gotland’s Ugliest Lawn-competition.
Follow a few easy steps and launch a local water saving ugly lawn-competition in your region or country. Together we can change the norm of green lawns and save a lot of water!
Here we go:
1. Choose a unique hashtag for your competition.
In english or in your own language, with the name of your region/country and ”ugliestlawn”. For example: #denmarksugliestlawn. To get an international distribution of your challenge we recommend that you also add the hashtag #uglylawnchallenge
2. Select a jury of 3-4 people.
One person from your own organisation.
One garden specialist.
One person from locally influential media.
One influencer engaged in the climate issue.
3. Publish information about the competition on your homepage.
4. Launch the competition with news articles i regional or national media.
Gotland’s Ugliest Lawn was launced in mid July, and the winner was announced in late August when the drought issue was in the news.
5. Publish posts on your social media channels throughout the competition.
6. Announce the winner in collaboration with regional media.
Talk about the importance of water conservation, and why changing the norm of green lawns is effective.
Director of Brand, Region Gotland, Sweden
+46 70 083 22 99